To install a baby car seat cover into the car seat shell, ensure the harness straps are correctly threaded through the cover. Then, align the cover with the seat shell, secure the cover using the provided clips or snaps, and adjust for a snug fit. There should be no wrinkles or loose fabric if done right.
Food remnants sometimes seep through your baby’s car seat covers into the base of the shell, requiring you to remove the cover for a wash. If you’re using car seats for the first time, putting back the seat covers can be intimidating because some models have intricate designs or multiple pieces.
In the rest of this article, I will walk you through the step-by-step process of putting on car seat covers so that it fits properly into the car seat shell. I will also share common mistakes many mothers make during the process so you don’t have to make them.
How To Put Car Seat Cover On — Step-by-Step Guide
You have successfully removed the baby car seat cover, but you now find it challenging to put it back on. These steps will guide you:
- Before removing the car seat covers, it would help to take a picture of how the car seat looks when assembled so that when you finish replacing the cover, you see whether everything is in place.
- I will mention various straps and pads in this seat cover installation procedure. If you’re confused about which pads or straps to handle, refer to the seat’s manual to get the diagram label because it varies depending on the car seat model.
- While slotting in your comfort pads, ensure the harness straps are not twisted.
- There are usually three holes through which you can thread the harness strap onto the car seat’s base. If your baby is small, you can thread through the first two holes (counting from the top), but if your baby is grown, thread through the third hole.
- Fit the cover onto the top of the shell and around the head restraint.
- Pull the harness strap and chest clip, and buckle the tongue through the hip anchor slot in the cover. Do this on both sides.
- Pull the harness adjuster strap through the cover.
- Tuck the cover around the back of the seat shell. Repeat the same process for the front of the seat shell. There are two elastic straps on the edge of the front side of the cover. Secure them to the shell.
- Secure the elastic straps near the carrier belt. Also, secure the elastic straps near the carrier belt guides.
- Now that the cover fits into the car seat shell replace the buckle and belly pad as they were when you removed it. Also, replace the comfort pads and harness straps.
- Flip the car seat and ensure the harness straps for both sides are secured to the connecting anchor.
- To replace the canopy, slide the canopy into the slot until the button pops through the opening. Tuck the fabric into the channel on the back, then slide the elastic loop over the canopy knuckle.
- Finally, you can replace the head pad and buckle the harness.
How To Put On Baby Car Seat Covers Video
If you find visual demonstrations more helpful for understanding installation processes, a video detailing how to put on seat covers will be a lifesaver.
Unfortunately, many video tutorials are either based on specific car seat models or are not helpful enough.
Fortunately, during my search, I stumbled on this tutorial from Filipino-American Heatchannel that demonstrates the process in great detail and applies to all car seat model types:
What Is A Common Mistake Made When Installing Car Seat Covers?
A common mistake mothers can easily make when installing a child’s car seat cover is improperly threading the harness straps through the cover. If you don’t incorporate the cover correctly while putting it on, it can compromise safety.
Also, due to how intricate car seat installations can be, it is possible to forget to tighten the cover adequately. A loose cover can create gaps or wrinkles, reducing the car seat’s effectiveness in a crash.
- When you put the car seat cover on, it should be snug and free of slack after installation. This is a way to confirm that you have tightened it adequately.
Car Seat Cover Installation Service?
Unlike other services, you can’t find a business dedicated to installing car seat covers by searching for “car seat cover installation near me” on the internet.
If you don’t feel confident about wearing the car seat cover into the seat’s shell by yourself and need someone experienced to do it, there are places you can go to get this done.
- Car seat clinics: Look for the nearest car seat clinic or inspection station where certified technicians can help you properly install and adjust your car seat, including the cover. These services from clinics are often free, but they may request a little donation.
- Baby stores: Some baby stores, especially larger chains, offer car seat installation services or can recommend professionals who can assist you. Good examples of these stores include Baby On The Move and The Pump Station Nutury. Costs can vary, but they may charge a fee for this service. Expect to pay from $20 to $50, depending on the baby store you go to.
Did you know? You can find child passenger safety technicians in your area through the National Child Passenger Safety (CPS) Certification Program.
The simplicity of putting on car seat covers depends on the design of the car seat model. Some car seat covers have intricate designs or multiple pieces that can make installation more challenging.
If you’re experienced in installing car seat covers, you may find it easier than someone doing it for the first time.
Remember, car seat covers fit snugly over the car seat shell. That way, they can accommodate harness straps and other safety features threading through them.
Is there someone you think will benefit from this article as well? Feel free to share with them.