Hello there, fellow multitasking mothers! Did you know that you can make car seat covers out of towels with a few basic items, some measurements, and attaching the cover to your car seat? If you didn’t, you are in luck because I will show you how in this article.
According to Global Market Insights, the market size value of automotive seat covers was USD 5.89 Billion in 2019, and it’s increasing. But have you ever been stuck with juice spills and cracker crumbs covering the car seats of your babies?
If, like many mothers I know, your answer is yes, I have a game-changing idea for you to make colorful car seat covers with towels. I applied this idea to my baby’s Nuna car seat. It is an easy method for maintaining your sanity and your car’s appearance. With three children in tow most of the time, my car was beginning to resemble a traveling food bar. Things became very bad with the need to continuously clean the car seat. I had to find a better solution, and that’s when it dawned on me: why not turn towels into personalized car seat covers? It’s inexpensive, useful, and a wonderful way to give your mom’s mobile a unique touch.
Are you thinking about how to make car seat covers out of towels? Don’t worry; I’ll walk you through the process of making these colorful car seat covers in the upcoming article. We’ll cover everything, from selecting the proper towels to guaranteeing a tight fit. Watch this space for the ultimate parent hack that will make you wonder why you never thought of it yet.
Things You Need To Make A Car Seat Out Of Towel
Okay, supermom, here is your toolkit for doing towel magic on the car seat:
- Quality towels: Select strong, absorbent towels as the first defense against crumbs and spills. Choose a hue or pattern that fits your style so that fashion meets utility!
- Using measuring tape or scissors: Accuracy is crucial! The towels must be trimmed to the appropriate size with scissors, and measuring tape will give you the size of your car seats. This guarantees a tight fit and a polished appearance.
- Safety pins or clips: The towel pieces will be held in place while you perform your magic with the help of safety pins or clips, which will serve as your temporary partners. We’re keeping it simple, so there’s no need to get the sewing machine out!
- Velcro straps or elastic bands: To provide an extra layer of security and ensure that your covers stay in place, use Velcro strips or elastic bands. Velcro works great when attaching and removing items, while elastic bands offer flexibility.
- Decorative elements (optional): Want to jazz it up? Consider adding some flair with fabric paint, patches, or even embroidery. Let your creative juices flow and customize those covers!
- Spray fabric protector: Spray a protective coating on your creation to shield it from potential stains. Your homemade coverings will be even more resistant to juice cup spills with a short spritz.
You’re prepared to take on the mess and make your car seats the talk of the carpool lane now that you’re armed with towels and this equipment. Start transforming that towel now!
Do The Measurement For Perfect Fitting
Let’s get those dimensions for your towel car seat coverings perfect, DIY superstar! Here’s the skinny:
1. Measure The Shape Of Your Car Seat
Look at your automobile seats closely. Do they have a more rounded, square, or strange extraterrestrial shape? If you know their contours, you can cut your towels to match their curves like an expert.
2. Length And Width
Your new best friend is the measuring tape, so get one. Your car seat’s length and width should be measured. Start measuring the length from where your head sits on the seat to where your legs hang off. Width? Spanning the entire seat’s breadth from side to side.
3. Side Panels
Remember those sides, please! The sides of your car seat should be measured for height. This will be essential to ensuring that the towel cover completely covers the seat without leaving any areas exposed to spills.
4. Headrest Height
If your headrest is removable, take a separate measurement of its height. If not, add it to the length calculation from Step 2 instead. We also want those headrests to be comfy and covered.
5. Additional Features
Do your seats have any knobs, buttons, or cup holders? Also, measure them. We don’t want to obscure anything significant or obstruct your chairs’ operation.
6. Repeat For Each Seat
Follow these instructions again for each additional seat you are covering. Because car seat configurations can be deceptive, I want every cover to match perfectly.
7. Include A Little Extra
Give yourself a cushion, if you will. You should increase your measurements by a few inches. Trimming down is simpler than trying to extend your towel cover.
Remember that accuracy is essential, and a good cover fits correctly. Let’s transform those towels into seat saviors from our messy little cute toddlers, so go ahead and measure away!
Let’s Attach The Towel Covers To The Car Seat
Let’s get down to business and figure out how to transform those towels into incredibly cushy car seat coverings.
- Cut and personalize: Cut the towels using your dependable scissors, following the measurements you took earlier. For a fit that is perfectly tailored, trim away any extra fabric.
- Secure with Velcro or elastic bands: It’s time to get out the Velcro or elastic bands. Attach these to the towel cover’s corners or edges. This is your go-to tactic for preventing the dreaded “slip ‘n slide” when driving; nobody wants a stray towel in the middle of a turn!
- Add glue or sew (optional): Feeling crafty? If so, take your sewing supplies or fabric glue. The edges can be strengthened or embellished. It’s like updating the style of your automobile seats.
- Adjust and tuck: Now, finesse is everything. Tuck your towel cover’s edges into the seat grooves for a smooth appearance. This guarantees that your coverings stay in place and keep everything organized. You can use a safety pin to make sure it stays.
- Seatbelt access points: Recall the dimensions of the seat belt openings. Ensure they are aligned before cutting those openings in the towel cover. Even in DIY, put safety first!
- Think about the armrests and headrests: Make the necessary cuts or changes if you measured the headrests or armrests. We aim to cover those regions while keeping them accessible as necessary.
- Spray waterproof: Since my first baby, I have had cases of spill paranoia. So, I spray some waterproof spray on my coverings to add an extra layer of defense. Juice spills are now almost a dare!
- Take a literal test drive: Take your car for a test drive before you declare triumph. Make sure that everything remains in its proper position and is cozy. We’re going for perfection, so make any necessary adjustments!
Following these instructions will transform your towels into superhero car seat covers that can handle everything your small passengers hurl at them. Enjoy your newly enhanced ride while you’re buckled up!
Best Materials For Towel Car Seat Covers
When choosing a towel to make the car seat cover, I am very particular about my babies’ skin, the cover’s longevity, absorbency, and ease of cleaning. Create a cover that keeps your baby warm and your car seats safe by considering the temperature in your location and their preferences.
So, below is a list of fabrics that you can choose from.
|Terry towel||Terry cloth is soft and absorbent, perfect for spills and accidents, and gives your baby a comfortable surface. These are also durable and easy to maintain for Terry cloth car seat covers.||Nate Home by Nate Berkus 100% Cotton Terry|
|Blended cotton fabric||These are soft, breathable, and easy to clean. Increased durability may result from a polyester combination. Blended cotton can tolerate repeated washing.||GOLD TEXTILES 6 White Economy Bath Towels Bulk|
|Microfiber towel||Very soft, quick-drying, and highly absorbent. It provides a soft area for your child to sit on. Use a lint-free microfiber fabric to prevent linting on the baby’s clothes.||POLYTE Microfiber Oversize Quick Dry Lint Free Bath Towel|
|Water-resistant material||This material offers an additional layer of defense against liquid spills. It is simple to clean. To prevent discomfort for your infant, choose a breathable, waterproof material.||Dri Seats Waterproof Car Towel|
|Flannel or flannelette||These are cozy and soft, appropriate for cooler climates. The texture provides a soft touch to the skin of your infant. Make sure it can be machine-washed.||1 Ply Organic Cotton Flannel Paperless Towels|
|Towels made Of bamboo||Towels made of bamboo are environment-friendly, antimicrobial, and hypoallergenic. Delicate and soft on a baby’s skin. For increased durability, look for a blend that includes cotton.||SUPERIOR Rayon from Bamboo Cotton Blend Bath Towel Set|
|Jersey knit Material||These are stretchable, comfy, and convenient to use. Gives the vehicle seat a tight fit.For more durability, select a thicker jersey knit.||Great Bay Home Extra Soft Jersey Knit T-Shirt Queen Cotton Sheet|
|Minky material||Plush and velvety, ideal for producing an opulent feeling. These are strong and simple to maintain. However, breathability should be taken into account, especially in warmer temperatures.||Shannon Minky Luxe Cuddle Sorbet Unicorn, Fabric by the Yard|
Benefits Of Using A Towel Car Seat Cover
Now, it is time I share the rewards of this little DIY project with you. Hence, here are the benefits we all look for as mothers.
- Safety from spills and stains: Protects the upholstery of your original car seats from spills, food crumbs, and other potential stains.
- Cost-saving measure: Towels are inexpensive and simple to change, making them cost-effective for maintaining the best condition for your car seats.
- Easy to clean: Towels are machine washable; they may be quickly and easily cleaned after spills or frequent usage.
- DIY-friendly & customizable: You may design a unique interior for your automobile by deciding on your towels’ colors, patterns, and details.
- Breathable and comfortable: During long trips, towels, especially those made of terry cloth, offer a soft and permeable surface for seating.
- Swift installation and dismantling: Towel seat coverings are simple to install or remove without complicated tools or expert assistance, providing a hassle-free solution.
- Temporary security for particular situations: Perfect for circumstances requiring momentary protection, such as following a day at the beach or transporting soiled objects.
- Versatility: Towel car seat coverings may suit various automobile sizes and shapes.
- Kid-friendly: They are ideal for families with young children since they act as a barrier against crumbs and spills, keeping the interior of the car cleaner and more tidy.
- Friendly to the environment: Choosing towels is environmentally friendly, especially if used in new ways. This environmentally beneficial strategy lessens the use of single-use or disposable seat covers.
Utilizing towel car seat covers has several advantages, like safeguarding your car seats and offering a flexible, affordable alternative. Towel seat coverings can be a wise and practical decision for your car, regardless of whether you want to emphasize functionality, style, or a combination.
By considering how to make car seat covers out of towels, we’ve found an inexpensive, do-it-yourself marvel that does more than just keep your vehicle seats safe. With many advantages, these towel covers provide a useful answer to life’s daily turmoil in our beloved vehicles, especially for those with kids.
The towel car seat covers add a touch of pragmatism and individual flair to your interior, from the reasonably priced shield against spills and stains to the customizable canvas that lets your personality shine through. They are a sensible option for individuals looking for a short- or long-term fix due to their simple installation, machine-washability, and versatility.
Why settle for the ordinary when you can make it extraordinary? Allow your imagination to soar, pick the towels that appeal to you, and start the process of converting your car seats into a unique retreat. Who said functional couldn’t be great, after all? Happy crafting!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
1. Is it possible to make car seat covers from any type of towel?
Certainly! Although many different towels may be used to make car seat coverings, choosing ones that are absorbent and long-lasting improves performance in general. I prefer Terry cloth car seat covers as one of my best options.
Because of its superior absorption qualities, Terry cloth effectively handles spills and moisture. Terry cloth’s resilience also encourages longevity by acting as a dependable barrier against wear and tear. It’s important to balance comfort and functionality, and fabrics like terry cloth are excellent choices for creating colorful car seat covers that combine functionality with a hint of luxury.
2. Can I make towel covers for leather car seats?
Although leather car seats can be protected by applying towel coverings, picking a breathable towel is critical. Ventilation is necessary to avoid moisture buildup that could eventually result in mildew or damage to leather seats.
To keep your leather seats spotless, choose breathable materials like terry cloth car seat covers or mesh fabric car seat covers. Inspect the leather and towel covers to maintain a clean and fashionable inside. By carefully balancing protection and ventilation, this choice will safeguard the long-term integrity of your leather seats.
3. Do seat coverings made of towels affect side airbags?
It’s crucial to consider any potential interference between your car’s side airbags and the towel seat coverings. Side airbags are intended to activate quickly for greater safety, and any obstruction may render them ineffective. Carefully inspect the seating arrangement in your automobile before putting on towel covers.
Confirm no obstacles are preventing the side airbags from deploying properly. Make accurate cuts to accommodate airbags if your towels cover any locations where they are positioned. Always prioritize safety, and by paying close attention to your car’s design, you can benefit from both towel covers’ protection and the effectiveness of key safety elements.
4. Are towel car seat covers easy to clean?
Absolutely! Towel car seat coverings have the added benefit of being quite simple to clean, which complements their protective function. These coverings make maintenance simpler because they can be machine-washed. You can easily throw them in the washing machine after exposure to spills or normal wear for a complete cleaning.
This keeps your car’s inside looking good and assures hygiene. Towel seat coverings are a great option for people looking for a hassle-free way to maintain their car seats’ style and cleanliness without engaging in laborious cleaning procedures or hiring a pro.