An upset stomach can be uncomfortable to manage, from the rumblings to a lousy episode of uncontrollable vomiting. It’s particularly unpleasant when you spill the troubled contents of your stomach on a car seat. The thought of the rigorous cleaning that follows and the dreaded-aftermath stench leaves you feeling drained.
The fastest method of cleaning vomit from your car seat is the use of baking soda. Baking soda is useful in lifting off the stains and absorbing the remaining lingering stink. First, you have to wipe the vomit, and then sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda on the soiled surface.
The baking soda trick is just one of the many techniques to eliminate vomit from your seat. Read through to learn how to utilize your everyday house items to clean vomit stains.
How To Clean Vomit From A Car Seat
Cleaning vomit stains can be a gruesome task. The most effective method is wiping down the seats and using baking soda. Below is a detailed description of how to clean your car seat.
As earlier mentioned, baking soda absorbs and lifts stubborn stains. You can use it alone or add other stain removers. It is efficient whatever way you decide to use it.
Scoop off the vomit with a spatula, then wipe your seats with a damp cloth. Be sure that you can get off all the puke first. Then sprinkle baking powder on the wet surface and rub it in.
Please leave it to dry, and then vacuum the baking soda. That’s it, and your seats would look and smell fresh.
Hydrogen Peroxide And Dish Soap
The hydrogen peroxide referred to here is the type you can find in a first aid kit. Fascinating right? Your typical household staples multitasking.
First, you have to wipe off the vomit. In an empty spray bottle, measure two cups of hydrogen peroxide plus two drops of liquid dish soap. Mix and spray the solution on the stained surface.
Rub the area lightly with a damp cloth. Spray as often as you need to, but do not drench the chair. Once you are satisfied, wipe off the foam and leave to dry.
Vinegar is another effective cleaner. It helps in cleaning cloth or vinyl seats. Mix water and white vinegar using an 8:1 ratio.
Add a dash of liquid soap. Use a damp cloth to scrub the stain vigorously. If the vomit stain seems challenging, you scrub softly using a bristle brush. Wipe off using a damp cloth, and then leave it to dry.
For your car seat is made with leather, you can get away with using a few drops of dish soap and water. Mix in a few drops of soap in a bowl of water. Gently wipe down the seats with a damp cloth.
Concentrating on every crevice to make sure you get every vomit out. After using all of these cleaning procedures, it is best to use a dry cloth to dry the surface. The fabric would absorb excess liquid. Crack open a window to let in fresh air or use a hairdryer to dry off the seats completely.
How To Clean A Baby’s Car Seat
Babies, as well as adults, can have a bout of vomiting cases. As unpleasant as it is to clean off the puke, you still worry about your child’s safety. You want to clean their car seats quickly, so they are protected during a drive.
Below are the steps involved in cleaning your baby’s car seat.
- Un-Install the car seat; you want to make sure you get all nooks and crannies. You have to try to get it right once.
- If you can remove the cover, please do. The manual usually have appropriate washing instructions, so please follow them. The car seat covers is only functional with the seat’s hard shell, and vice versa, kindly follow the instructions.
- Properly wash the shell. Use mild soap and a toothbrush to get into those little gaps. Do not power-wash the outside as it may reduce the effectiveness of the car seat.
- The straps most likely received the brunt of the vomiting episode. It’s slimy and smelly. Your predisposition is to throw them to wash in the machine; please don’t.
- The washing machine can ruin the unique webbing of the straps. As you know, the straps can tolerate a high threshold of stretching and still not break. The spinning of the machine will stretch out the belts and permanently reduce its effectiveness.
- So how do you get the vomit out? Hand washes using dish soap and water. We recommend dish soap because they are mild and gentle, but you can also use baby soap. Mix a few drops of soap into the water and spray it with the straps.
- It is best if you did not allow the straps to be soaking wet. With a napkin or sponge, wipe the strap.
- Do not use any specialized cleaner like bleach or vinegar on the straps. Yes, they are safe to house hold cleaners but will not be appropriate for it. Keep it simple with just dish soap and water.
- Turn the buckle over as that part of the seat may have trapped some puke. Remove it and submerged it in water. Swirl it around the water but make sure the strap does not get dripping wet.
- Put the seat and all its parts in the sun. You will be shocked by the magic the sun can do to lingering smell.
Prevention is most cases is always better than cure. It is best if you can avoid your kid puking in their seat altogether. If you cannot prevent it, prepare better.
Have a stash of cleaning products in an emergency kit. Below are the nine most crucial vomiting first- aid materials;
- Paper towels
- Baby wipes
- Hand towel
- Garbage bag
- Gallon-sized Ziplock bag
- Change of clothes
- Large cup ( that your kid can hold easily)
- Bib to catch all the dripping
- Air freshener
How Do I Permanently Get Rid Of The Vomit Smell In My Baby Car Seat?
After the above cleaning procedures, if the odor lingers, allow it to dry completely for at most a week. If it doesn’t get better, repeat the process. Puke can roll and hide in the different crevices and keep emitting unpleasant fumes.
Soak the car seat covers in a mixture of Borax and 1 cup of your ordinary laundry detergent. Let the pieces soak for a few hours and wash as you would typically do.
Cleaning vomit from a car seat can be a gruesome task. Household items are sufficient enough to get out tough vomits stains, and stench. You can use the easy cleaning techniques for both adult and baby car seats. Having a stash of emergency vomit kit is highly recommended.