Graco Tranzitions 3-in-1 harness booster car seat is a great option for parents searching for a seat that can grow with their little one from toddler to a young child.
Its slim profile, easy installation, and lightweight make it an excellent choice for busy families with smaller vehicles or more than one car seat.
Tranzitions is a convertible car seat for children weighing twenty-two pounds to one-hundred pounds. It is not an infant car seat, and the youngest age it can accommodate is a toddler.
Great Convertible Booster Seat
Thanks to the Simply Safe Adjust system, the headrest, and harness can be repositioned together in one seamless motion. This allows your seat to easily and comfortably accommodate your child as they grow.
Other comfort features include dual armrests, two removable cup holders, a padded body insert, and harness covers.
Though the Graco Tranztions three in one is sleek and not heavy, it is still very safe. It has been rigorously crash tested and meets or exceeds all US safety standards.
Although, it does not have a steel-reinforced frame or energy-absorbing foam like some of its counterparts.
It is simple to obtain a secure install thanks to the LATCH system and open-loop belt guides. The Tranzitions seat certainly meets all safety standards but is missing a few safety upgrades that usually give parents peace of mind.
Key Points to Remember
- Converts from harness booster (22-65lbs), to highback booster (30-100lbs), to a backless booster (40-100lbs)
- Has a five-point harness mode
- Narrow profile and not bulky
- Completely machine washable seat pad and covers
- Includes dual armrests and dual cup holders
- 3 in 1 harness booster helps protect Your child, from toddler to youth; harness booster (22 65...
- Simply Safe Adjust Harness System adjusts the height of Your harness and headrest in one motion; one...
- Engineered & rigorously crash tested to meet or exceed US Standard FMVSS 213; the Nautilus 65 has...
- 5 point harness mode: must weigh 22-65lbs and measure 26.5-49” in height
- Highback Booster: must weigh 30-100lbs and measure 38-57” in height
- Backless Booster: must weigh 40-100lbs and measure 40-57” in height
A note on booster safety
The Graco Tranzitions 3-in-1 does not have an age limit listed for any of its available seat uses.
However, the company does note that the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that children use a built-in harness system until they reach the weight and/or height limit of their forward-facing seat.
Then, if they are under 4’9” they should use a belt-positioning booster. Typically, children transition to a belt-positioning booster when they are around eight years old.
Furthermore, the American Academy of Pediatrics Association recommends that all infants and children should be rear-faced for as long as possible. In other words, until they meet or exceed the car seat’s weight and height limits.
Even though the minimum weight limit for the harness booster is 22 pounds, it may not be the safest choice to put a 22-pound child in a booster seat.
- Harness and headrest adjust together to eight different positions
- The crotch strap can be adjusted to two different positions
- Seven-year expiration date
- Three choices of color scheme
- Dual cup holders attached to seat base and are separate from the dual armrests
- Can convert to a backless booster
- Seat weight: 12.5lbs
- Seat height: 26.5” (headrest fully extended is 33”)
- Seat depth: 13”
- Listed seat width: 17”
- The narrow design and minimal weight make it easy to move from vehicle to vehicle
- Accommodates children from toddler (22lbs) to young child (100lbs)
- Sleek design, but still includes comfort features such as armrests and cup holders
- Easy to install with either LATCH system or seat belt
- No-rethread harness adjusts with the headrest
- No storage for the harness system, it must be completely removed when using the seat as a belt-positioning booster
- The LATCH system uses clip style anchor connectors instead of push-button
- No steel-reinforced frame or EPS energy-absorbing foam
The Graco Tranzitions 3-in-1 harness booster expires seven years after the date of manufacture.
The specific date of manufacture can be located on your seat’s product label.
Cleaning and Care
The seat cover, cushion, and harness covers are machine washable. The harness straps should only be spot cleaned and should never be soaked or immersed.
The buckle can be wiped down with a wet cloth. All other metal and plastic components can be cleaned with mild soap and lukewarm water.
Graco provides a limited warranty on its products extending one year from the date of purchase. Some states prohibit limited warranties, so you should always check with the manufacturer.
If you find that your car seat isn’t functioning correctly or has damaged parts, Graco asks that you contact them. If you are within the warranty period, they will likely replace the parts or product at no cost to you.
The majority of parents are pleased with their Tranzitions 3-in-1 booster seat. They find that it is lightweight and slim enough to fit in a variety of vehicle sizes.
Additionally, its minimalistic design makes it effortless to transfer from vehicle to vehicle.
A few customers have found the seat difficult to install. They have trouble getting a secure installation and abiding by the maximum one inch of overhang limit.
However, reviews on the ease of installation are mixed with some customers having no issue.
- Slim build
- Inclusion of cupholders and armrests
- Very affordable
- Difficult to install
- Use of clip (or hook) anchor connectors instead of push-button
The Graco Nautilus 65 and the Tranzitions are both 3-in-1 harness boosters. They convert to the same three-seat types and follow the same weight limits.
However, the Nautilus 65 is considered an upgraded version of the Tranzitions.
The Nautilus 65 has a few features that the Tranzitions does not. These include a steel-reinforced frame, energy-absorbing foam, and the ability to recline to three different positions.
However, these inclusions make the Nautilus 65 wider, heavier, and costlier.
- Both are a 3-in-1 convertible booster seat with identical weight ranges
- Both can be installed using either the LATCH system or the vehicle’s seat belt
- Both have a no-rethread harness connected to the headrest using the Simply Safe Adjust system
- The Nautilus 65 has only one cup holder while the Tranzitions has two
- The Nautilus 65 is bulkier and heavier
- Three recline positions are available with the Nautilus 65 compared to none with the Tranzitions
- Two features that the Tranzitions doesn’t have while the Nautilus does are a steel-reinforced frame and energy-absorbing foam
- The Nautilus 65 is more expensive
- Integrated harness storage compartment holds unused harness straps while in the belt positioning...
- One-hand, 5-position adjustable headrest is easy to use and adapts for your growing child
- Keeps your child in a booster up to 120 pounds for longevity of use, in keeping with American...
Graco Tranzitions 3-in-1 harness booster vs. Graco Wayz
The Graco Tranzitions 3-in-1 harness booster is actually the same seat as the Wayz. The seats just go by two different names. Therefore, they share all of the same features.
Even though the seats are identical, there are two differences. These are retailer and color choices.
The Graco Wayz is exclusively produced for and sold by, Walmart. It remains the tranzitions seat, just renamed for Walmart.
Additionally, the Wayz is available in only one color option called “Gordon,” which is black and red. The Tranzitions (sold by all other retailers except Walmart) has three color choices.
- The Wayz is exclusive to Walmart (it is still the Tranzitions model just renamed)
- The Tranzitions is available in three color options (Basin =grey and green, Kyte=pink and grey, or proof=black). The Graco Wayz is only available in Gordon=black and red.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you install a Graco Tranzitions 3-in-1 harness booster?
In the five-point harness mode, the seat can be installed using the LATCH system or your vehicle’s seat belt. The LATCH system can also be used when the seat is in highback booster mode, but your vehicle’s seat belt must be used as well.
The Tranzitions 3-in-1 works as a belt-positioning booster when in backless booster mode. Therefore, in this position, only your vehicle’s seat belt is used.
Is Graco Tranzitions FAA-approved?
The Graco Tranzitions three in one is only FAA-approved when being used in harness mode. All other modes (as a high back booster or backless booster) are not FAA approved.
Can Graco Tranzitions be used rear-facing?
No, it cannot. The Tranzitions is a harness booster meant for toddlers, and preschool to young-child aged children, therefore it cannot be used in the rear-facing position.
Durable and Safe Convertible Seat
Overall, the Graco Tranzitions 3-in-1 doesn’t have a lot of bells and whistles, but it is an affordable and safe car seat that is perfect for active families.
Though some parents seem to have difficulty installing this seat, issues seem to depend on vehicle type.
If you are looking for a simple seat at a great price that can keep up with your busy lifestyle, then the Tranzitions is just the seat for you.
Last update on 2020-02-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API