The Bugaboo Donkey Duo stroller is a great choice for every possible use, and we’re here to review it for you in detail. Whether you are a parent of multiples or you have little ones that are close in age, you need a stroller solution that will be convenient and reliable to hold 2 young ones for your adventures.
We will walk through the details of this stroller from top to bottom, providing you with all of the relevant information that you will want to know as you move forward in understanding and purchasing your duo stroller.
The Bugaboo Donkey twin stroller is perfectly made for any combination of use and is ideal for use from infant to toddler. Many twin strollers will not work for infants because they do not transition from a car seat or bassinet options directly to seated options that are side-by-side.
- Effortless Expansion: This stroller accommodates infants (w/ included bassinet) and toddlers up to...
- Spacious Storage: The Donkey2 is a full size stroller with a narrow footprint that glides through...
- Versatile and Hassle-Free: From the 1-piece self-standing fold design which offers a compact fold
Here are some of the best features of the Bugaboo Donkey 2 Duo that you will want to know about.
1. Works well from infant to toddler with a bassinet feature that converts to seats. This stroller is also car seat compatible.
2. Lightweight and easy to steer and push, you can even handle it with just one hand.
3. Able to fit through any average-sized doorway.
4. The seats are comfortable and safely built and can be transitioned into multiple settings.
5. The seats can be reclined for those napping little ones.
6. The handlebar is fully adjustable to a comfortable height setting for you.
7. The tires are designed to work well on any terrain, whether you’re out in the snow or merely cruising the mall you are set.
8. Includes under-seat storage basket area for all of your gear.
9. Folds easily and stands alone when folded.
These are just a few of the best features this stroller has to offer. Many of these are unique to the Bugaboo Donkey stroller and simply can’t be outdone. Additionally, this stroller is compatible with a variety of brands of car seats. There are just a couple more things you should know. This stroller comes equipped with sun canopies that are weather-resistant if you get caught in the rain.
Everything from the canopies to the cushion in the seats is machine washable as well. There are also a variety of colors to choose from. You can design your own set-up for purchase or choose the basic stock set-up that is available in stores and online.
In addition to the versatility already described, the Bugaboo Donkey can hold an additional 3rd seat as an extra feature. This stroller is designed to grow with your family, so you are not limited to just two spaces.
Not only can you have two bassinets, 2 car seats, two side-by-side seats, or a mash-up of any of these, but you can actually add a 3rd seat to the stroller as well. The additional seat is designed for a toddler or older child. Simply purchase the Bugaboo Comfort Wheeled Board attachment. This is a small attachment at the rear that allows a 3rd child to sit easily with the other kiddos aboard the stroller comfortably. In this seat, they can get on and off quite easily, depending on your activity.
There is no level of convenience that is more important than the safety of your stroller. While a stroller can look and feel great to use, you want to ensure that your precious children are as safe as possible when encompassed in the stroller’s care. For safety, we reviewed the primary areas of harness, brakes, and tipping ratio, and here is what we have concluded.
The harness is a 5-point adjustable piece that is easy to use and adjust. It can adjust to even the smallest sizes and is simple to buckle and unbuckle with or without a baby in the seat. The harness gets a 5 out of 5 in our book.
The brakes are single action, and they set and release quite easily through a foot pedal. One thing we specifically noticed is that it can be a long reach to the foot pedal, particularly if your handle is fully extended. This may not be an issue for people with long legs.
These brakes are superior to the majority of brands but we noticed that with excessive force, the stroller might still move despite the placement of the brakes. For this reason, we give the brakes a 4 out of 5.
The tipping safety is probably our least favorite aspect of the Donkey Bugaboo. It is built narrow and therefore seemed to tip much easier than we preferred. The key is to not overweight the handlebars. Use the storage baskets instead. However, because of this tipping point, we give the tipping safety 3 out of 5.
Warranty and Recalls
The Donkey Bugaboo stroller comes with a straight 2-year warranty. However, you can extend this to a 3-year warranty at no cost if you register your stroller online within three months of your stroller purchase. For the price, we highly recommend registering your stroller and taking advantage of the warranty available.
There has only been one recall to date on the Bugaboo Donkey duo stroller, which is a replacement of the carry handles. There were reported issues of the carry handle detaching due to unstable surfaces. This never happened while carrying, but Bugaboo is addressing and replacing for the ultimate safety of the unit.
So how does the Bugaboo Donkey weigh up against its competitors? We’ve placed it against some of the most popular competitors to put it to the test. What we found is that overall the Donkey Bugaboo generally outweighs competitors and has many features that they simply can’t beat. Even in safety, the Donkey is hard to beat despite its lack in tipping safety scores.
Bugaboo Donkey vs. Mountain Buggy Duet
The Bugaboo Donkey Twin and the Mountain Buggy Duet have many similarities and only a few differences. The Bugaboo Donkey is quite a bit more expensive, so the question is, is it worth the extra dollars for what it has to offer?
- Both designed for all-terrain use
- Both built with a similar design
- Both designed to be heavy-duty
- Both strollers have similar safety ratings
- Bugaboo can convert to bassinets on both sides of the stroller
- Bugaboo has slightly better braking systems
- Mountain Buggy is somewhat better balanced and less likely to IP
- SAME WIDTH AS A SINGLE STROLLER - at just 25" the Mountain Buggy Duet is the same width as a single...
- NEWBORN READY - with dual, independent lie-flat seats, use of one or two car seats or the Mountain...
- CONTROL HAND BRAKE - for walking, jogging and going up and down hills in any weather
Bugaboo Donkey Twin Stroller vs. Valco Snap Duo
Again, we find that the Bugaboo Donkey is quite a bit more expensive than its competitor. However, in this instance, the measurements of the Bugaboo compared to Valco Snap Duo far outweigh, making it potentially worth the cost.
- Both strollers are designed for all-terrain use
- Both pass the safety ratings on a similar scale
- Both are designed to be heavy-duty strolling machines
- Bugaboo is quite a bit more versatile with conversion options
- Valco Snap Duo is best for young ones who don’t need car seat or bassinet support
- Valco Snap is far more limited in overall functionality
- Valco Snap does not have as much storage space available as the Bugaboo
- NEW 2016 Lightweight All Terrain Double Stroller - Weighs 27lbs!
- 10" Rear & 8" Front Air Tires included for a smooth ride over all types of everyday terrain
- Includes: Independant full infant recline seats, adjustable footrests, full coverage canopies, 5...
To wrap up our review of the product and put it into perspective, we consider Bugaboo Donkey a great twin stroller option with a multi-functional purpose that is hard to beat in other models and competitors. Here are our pros and cons of this model.
- Multifunctional unit with various setting options
- Everything is fully adjustable to suit your needs
- Wheels are great for any terrain
- Rates fairly well on the safety charts
- There is a decent warranty attached to the Bugaboo unit
- There have not been significant recalls on the unit
- You can choose your color
- This is a premium-priced stroller
- Be aware of the tipping safety when using handlebars
There are many accessories for the Bugaboo Donkey available. Here are the most useful for this stroller.
1. Comfort Wheeled Board with Seat
This is the piece needed to add a 3rd seat to the stroller. It’s a simple attachment that connects at the rear, adding a wheel as well as an additional seat.
- The Bugaboo Comfort Wheeled Board with Seat is designed for older toddlers and preschoolers, and can...
- The Bugaboo Comfort Wheeled Board Adapter for the Donkey or Buffalo is for the Bugaboo Donkey and...
- Accomodates riders up to 50 lbs
This snack tray easily attaches when you have your stroll set up in the seated form. You can connect to either of the twin seats. It is equipped with a cup holder and a covered snack holder that gives your little ones easy access whenever they need it.
- On-the-Go Snacking: Our snack tray comes with a cup holder and food compartment so your child can...
- Connect & Go: Our snack tray is so convenient that you can attach it using just one hand! Securely...
- Convenient Rotation: With a 90-degree horizontal rotation, our snack holder is non-obstructive,...
Be prepared for any situation with this rain cover that attaches over the entire seat, whether you are in a bassinet or seated mode. This water repellant cover will protect your little one from any outdoor elements.
- This model is specific to the Bugaboo Donkey, Buffalo or Runner. There are dedicated versions of the...
- Features a reflective strip for 180 Degree visibility at night and during bad weather and offers...
- Provides excellent all-weather protection against rain, snow, wind and cold. It is water repellant...
Duo Stroller Is A Great Find
Overall, we feel the Donkey Bugaboo stroller is a great find and well worth what it has to offer.If you’re able to splurge on the purchase, we can easily say “go for it” as you will be getting a high-quality product that has so much to offer.
Last update on 2020-03-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API